Vienna State Opera Ring Cycle 2014 – This morning the Vienna State Opera put their entire 2014-15 season on sale at the same time they announced it, in case you were wondering why their website’s been slow or completely down all day. Well done, Wieners.
The chaos disguises an average 5% price increase, which Intendant Dominique Meyer says is necessary to compensate for the static public subsidy. Unlike standard UK practice, the price rise is helpfully weighted towards the more expensive tickets.
As usual, it’s a busy season, with 223 staged opera performances, few of which are even 20th century, let alone modern. There will be six new productions:
- Idomeneo 5 October 2014 c: Christoph Eschenbach, d: Kasper Holten, with Michael Schade, Margarita Gritskova, Maria Bengtsson, Chen Reiss
- Khovanshchina 15 November 2014 c: Semyon Bychkov, d: Lev Dodin, with Ferruccio Furlanetto, Christopher Ventris, Herbert Lippert, Andrzej Dobber, Ain Anger, Elisabeth Kulman, Norbert Ernst
- Rigoletto 20 December 2014 c: Franz Welser-Möst, d: Pierre Audi, with Piotr Beczala, Simon Keenlyside, Valentina Nafornită, Elena Maximova
- Elektra 29 March 2015 c: Franz Welser-Möst, d: Uwe Eric Laufenberg, with Anna Larsson, Nina Stemme, Anne Schwanewilms, Falk Struckman
- Don Pasquale 26April 2015 c: Jesús López-Cobos, d: Irina Brook, with Michele Pertusi, Juan Diego Flórez, Alessio Arduini, Valentina Nafornită
- The Tempest (Austrian premiere) 14 June 2015 c: Thomas Ades, d: Robert Lepage, with Adrian Eröd, Audrey Luna, Stephanie Houtzeel, David Daniels