Stone Mountain is a quartz monzonite dome monadnock and the site of Stone Mountain Park in Stone Mountain, Georgia. At its summit, the elevation is 1,686 feet (514 m) MSL and 825 feet (251 m) above the surrounding area. Stone Mountain is well-known not only for its geology, but also for the enormous rock relief on its north face, the largest bas-relief in the world The carving depicts three Confederate figures during the Civil War: Stonewall Jackson, Robert E. Lee, and Jefferson Davis.
Stone Mountain was once owned by the Venable Brothers and was the site of the founding of the second Ku Klux Klan in 1915. It was purchased by the State of Georgia in 1958. Stone Mountain is more than 5 miles (8 km) in circumference at its base. The summit of the mountain can be reached by a walk-up trail on the west side of the mountain or by the Skyride aerial tram.
Georgia Stone Mountain Park
Spread across 3,200 beautiful acres, Stone Mountain Park is Georgia’s most-visited attraction – and with good reason. The fun never ends at Stone Mountain Park, where family activities reign during every season. Visit the park, built around the world’s largest piece of exposed granite (that’d be Stone Mountain), for Spring Fun Break, Memorial Day Weekend, the Fantastic Fourth Celebration, the Yellow Daisy Festival, Pumpkin Festival, Stone Mountain Christmas and Snow Mountain.
The massive granite dome at Stone Mountain State Park keeps watch on park visitors enjoying nearly every type of outdoor activity – camping, hiking, climbing, fishing, picnicking, horseback riding and more. There are more than 18 miles of trails, matched by more than 20 miles of designated trout waters in this park that spreads below the Blue Ridge Parkway. A campground offers 90 sites, some with utility hookups, and group and backpacking campsites are nearby. Rock climbing is allowed by permit on the towering, 600-foot granite face of the landmark mountain, and climbers look down on Hutchinson Homestead, a restored mid-19th century mountain farm. Expansive picnic grounds with shelters invite reunions and community gatherings.
Stone Mountain State Park Georgia
5 Reasons to Visit Stone Mountain Park
- Stone Mountain is the place to take your family to see the Lasershow Spectacular in Mountainvision®. The lights are choreographed with toe-tapping tunes and take-your-breath away pyrotechnics. It is the very best way to cap off a day at Stone Mountain Park.
- The Crossroads area is the spot to spend a few hours watching live shows, shopping and dining.
- Stone Mountain is a great place to throw a party, have a family reunion or host a company picnic. The professionals at Stone Mountain Park will plan and host your group event for you. Your requirement: Have a ball.
- Learn a little history as you gaze up at the faces carved into the mountain. Who are they? Robert E. Lee, Stonewall Jackson and Jefferson Davis.
- Attractions include Summit Skyride, Geyser Towers®, SkyHike®, Scenic Railroad, 4-D Theater, Ride The Ducks™, The Great Barn®, Great Locomotive Chase Adventure Golf, Antebellum Plantation & Farmyard and Discovering Stone Mountain Museum at Memorial Hall.
Stone Mountain Park is a Family Vacation Destination in Atlanta, Georgia
Located on 3,200 acres of natural beauty, Stone Mountain Park features a wide variety of fun family activities and things to do in the Atlanta, Georgia area. Amazing adventures await as you discover interactive children’s attractions. Plus you’ll not want to miss dozens of fun annual events such as Spring FUN Break, Summer at the Rock, Yellow Daisy Festival, Indian Festival and Pow Wow, Stone Mountain Christmas and Snow Mountain. Stone Mountain activities are suitable for all ages:
- Play in the spray or stay high and dry on Geyser Towers®.
- Trek through the treetops on SkyHike®, the nation’s largest adventure course.
- Take a skyride to the top of Stone Mountain and get an up-close look at the Stone Mountain Carving.
- Ride a scenic train around the mountain.
- Stay at the Marriott Stone Mountain Inn or Evergreen Marriott resort, or spend the night in a tent or your RV at the largest Georgia campground.
- Let Stone Mountain plan and host your company picnic or family reunion at a covered outdoor pavilion.
- End your day at the world’s largest laser light show featuring a fantastic fireworks finale!